The Presidential Elections and the Sovereignty of God
We are all fully aware of the atrocious campaigns that have been presented by both political parties – and especially by the media - for the presidential election. They have been filled with hateful, bitter, mean half-truths against their opponents rather than promoting the political agendas of each party. These mean-spirited campaigns have not encouraged the democratic process, but rather have discouraged, angered, and frightened many people. And that has happened – to Christians and nonChristians alike – because nonChristians don’t know, or Christians have forgotten – that the Lord God is sovereign over all creation, which includes the universe, the planet Earth, animals, people and rulers.
It is for the Lord’s glory, good purposes, and for the sake of His chosen, that He puts people in positions of authority – righteous and unrighteous. You may not like your boss, your mayor, your police chief, or your federal government leaders, but the Lord knew exactly what He was and is doing by putting them there. They may be in office to protect and govern us, bless us, correct us, discipline us, or challenge us in our flesh to grow and mature in our dependence/faith in the Lord. No matter what the reason we have been told in the Scriptures to:
- Submit to the authority over us: 1 Peter 2:13; Romans 13:1
- Pray for our leaders: 1 Timothy 2:1-2
- Be obedient to our leaders (as long as they are not commanding us to do something against God’s Word): Titus 3:1; Acts 5:29
- Pay taxes, and give honor and respect to those over us: Romans 13:6-7
And the reasons we are to do so is because:
- The Lord told us to do so
- We are disciplined in a godly way by obeying the Lord
- We will live peaceful and quiet lives; and it will please the Lord (1 Timothy 2:2-3).
So, no matter how you feel about the outcome of the presidential elections, trust God and not man. And live by this verse from Psalm 20:7 –
Some trust in chariots and some in horses (or people),
but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.