Part 2 – What is the Church?
The faith of many people in our nation can be described “Moralistic Therapeutic Deism.” And researchers narrowed down the beliefs to 5 essential tenets of this American Religion
- A god exists who created and ordered the world and watches over human life on earth.
- God wants people to be good, nice, and fair to each other, as taught in the Bible and by most world religions.
- The central goal of life is to be happy and to feel good about oneself.
- God does not need to be particularly involved in one’s life except when God is needed to resolve a problem.
- Good people go to heaven when they die.
This is how many people in our culture think and believe. It makes them a moral people concerned with their own happiness and who have a vague sense of the afterlife.
But as people who have been called out of darkness into the light of Christ, know that the God of the Bible and the faith that results from knowing him is something much different.
Christianity is not a solo-endeavor. It’s never been about personal fulfillment ALONE.
To be named as God’s people has always included a new Community.
To be a part of Christ is to take part in his Church.
Or as Martin Luther put it “Anyone who is to find Christ must find the church. How could anyone know where Christ is and what faith is in him unless he knew where his Believers are?”
Being a part of a local Church helps guard the genuine believers heart and mind from false doctrine which can result in harmful life choices.
The temptation to live life according to our cultural standards & personal preferences make it scary to commit to the Church. But scripture will say that SELF CREATION, SELF SUFFICIENCY, or RADICAL FREEDOM have been the great temptation facing us from the beginning. And much like all the covenant renewals in Israel, belonging to a local body of Christ and committing to it through verbal agreement and physical pledge serve to guard the people of God against:
- 1 John 5:21
- First Commandment
- The Sluggard in Proverbs
- If we don’t have people around us, we can easily just think we are doing okay.
- Genesis 2:18
- It’s just me! I’m the only one
- Psalm 73 mindset, I am keeping the faith in VAIN because it seems everyone else is prospering
Christ loves His people. Christ Loves his Church NOT BECAUSE THEY ARE SO FAITHFUL BUT BECAUSE THEY ARE HIS OWN (2 Peter 2:9)
God’s Church is a physical Sign that God has united himself to his people for the purpose of bringing his
Character, his promises, his Gospel to the ends of the earth. And I believe christians want to be a part because God has said his Church will be the people he uses to bless the world, and the Gates of Hell wont stand against it.
So in the coming months, I encourage you to not just attend, but join Christ and his mission by uniting yourself to him and his church.